This page has moved to a new address.

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 30

Right What You No: NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 30

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 30

Yes, that is correct. I managed to write my 50,000 words this month, and with a whole hour to spare!

It reminds me of my undergaduate days, I don't think I ever started an assignment until a day or two before the deadline, and I pumped out that assignment just before the deadline every time. Although it did also explain some of my less than excellent grades. I think the main thing is that I got to spend more time drinking and playing guitar than I would have if I had worked diligently. What good is a Bachelors degree if you don't have a huge education debt and alcohol induced memory loss?

Fortunately I love writing, so I can do it any time, not just when I have a deadline.

Words Written: 1,740 (per day average)
Total: 52,204

Of course, my goals weren't just to write 50,000 words this month. I also wanted to achieve a few other things. So how did I go?

1) Write daily.
Failed. But I did write most days of the week.

2) Get into good writing habits.
I think I've moved towards this. Regular writing, thinking about what I want to write and laying out scenes in my head prior to sitting down; all good habits. I got some good tips here.

3) Use writing as an excuse reason to stay up late and sleep in.
Success.

4) Put off household chores to write.
Success.

5) Get a large chunk of first novel written.
Success. I'm still a long way from finished with Overturned Stones. It is a thriller (synopsis below) and I now have the first third and the last third written. Another month and I should have a good first draft ready for rewrites.

I suppose that will be the next challenge on my path to becoming a novelist: rewriting. Whilst most of what I have written is pretty good, I did find some sections that are very bare on details. Some chapters are almost completely dialogue, with very little exposition. That may have been my intention initially, but I have a feeling that when read with fresh eyes it may not communicate all that I was hoping.

NaNoWriMo has been good fun. I'll definitely be signing up again next year. Hopefully by then I'll have a rewritten, edited, designed and ready to publish, manuscript.

Overturned Stones Synopsis
You never expect to stand trial for the murder of your wife, let alone if you didn't do it. When you find out that your wife may not be dead but rather kidnapped by human traffickers for sexual slavery, you could be forgiven for being a little annoyed. Proposing lead therapy for the traffickers in an effort to help them reform and free your wife isn't appreciated, by the traffickers, the police, or potential future employers. Can one man, dubbed "The Husband" by the media, take down organised crime, avoid the police and traffickers, and keep his gun loaded? http://www.nanowrimo.org/en/participants/tyson-adams

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At December 1, 2011 at 9:54 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you regarding forth and fifth in your list. My house is a mess, but, thanks to the 50k words injection my story is almost done :)
See you next year!
momilp

 
At December 1, 2011 at 11:02 AM , Blogger Tyson Adams said...

Monkia, I'm guessing that the craziness of NaNo could be extended to a whole year if we were mad enough. At 52k, I'm still quite a way from finished, but at 80k you are almost at rewrites and editing stage. Congrats!

Also, I hope the physio goes well.

 
At December 1, 2011 at 11:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the good wishes :)
Well, on this project I expect to add another 15/20k to reach its conclusion, but yes, I see the light now and it's beautiful and shiny...walking slowly toward it...
Good writing to you, and Madness be with us always :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home