This page has moved to a new address.

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 10: Writing is overrated!

Right What You No: NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 10: Writing is overrated!

Thursday, November 10, 2011

NaNoWriMo 2011 - Day 10: Writing is overrated!


So I'm travelling through this first fortnight of NaNoWriMo at a less than stellar pace. I've technically had most days free to write as much as I please. I'd imagined this would result in 10,000 word days and that I'd have that pesky 50,000 word total done before I go back to drudgery next week (or the day job, which ever term you prefer).

The reality has been much too horrid for me to bear. All of those professional authors who talked about how hard it was to hit writing targets were right. I guess that is why they are the professionals and I'm still the amateur, they must use better whips on the room full of monkeys.

Of course I have still been achieving the required writing goals, but the problem with having a day job is that it will suddenly rear its ugly head and swing me around in its mighty jaws as it seeks to devour me whole. Being on schedule might be a bad thing at this point. Maybe I should think more like a blogger or self-publishing slime-ball and just write rubbish: who actually needs the chapters to fit together?

Either way I'm enjoying writing every day, and I am actually achieving my primary goal of sitting around having fun. My secondary goal was to get into the habit of daily writing and getting sizable chunks written. That is my achilles heel as a writer, not finishing the larger projects. My writing itself is actually quite good - IMHO - and I'm continually working on aspects that need polish. As Stephen Leather said, writers do need to focus on becoming better writers.


Words Written: 1,698 (per day)
Total: 16,985
Remaining: 33,015

How has everyone else fared so far?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 11, 2011 at 2:33 PM , Blogger Judd Exley said...

I'm at about a third of what you are mate, but that's with NO writing time thus far. I'm hoping to carve some out this weekend, but planning for some writing time is like pissin' in the wind around these parts.

Good luck though! I'll see you on there.

 
At November 11, 2011 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Tyson Adams said...

Thanks Judd. Are you on any of the WA NaNo threads?

I'm still thinking I can hit 30k pretty easily. The 50k is actually doable still, but I'm cringing at my lack of productivity on the holidays. Does not bode well for a full time writing career.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home