This page has moved to a new address.

Tyson Adams' 2011 Book Awards: The Awesomes

Right What You No: Tyson Adams' 2011 Book Awards: The Awesomes

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Tyson Adams' 2011 Book Awards: The Awesomes


I've read a few books this year (+140) and have decided that I needed to talk about my favourites of 2011.  I also thought it fair to award my favourite reads of the year an Awesome.

As you will have noticed, my reviews of books are more about my impressions of the book and talking about how much I liked the book, rather than a recap of the plot, etc. My reasoning behind this is simple, I want to say "read this book" to people rather than fall into my bad habit of spoiling the ending.

My list is based upon what I have read this year, so obviously some great books (Snuff) have missed out due to lack of reading hours in the year. Also my read list does include some books that were published prior to 2011. There were some categories that were sadly under-represented and some that had some very intense competition.

Also, the fact that I finished a book shows that it was worth reading. I have my reading rules that stop me wasting valuable reading time on books I'm not enjoying. This means that any books on my read list are entertaining (well, unless I was particularly disgusted with the crappiness of the book in question).

Awesome of 2011

10 hours of non-stop reading fun, 12 if you count meal and toilet breaks. I could not put this book down, it had me enthralled with Reilly's fast paced thrills and explosions. This books defines The Awesomes.

Also, I would like to extend my condolences to Matthew and his friends and family on the loss of his wife Natalie.



Awesome Literary Fiction
There were no nominees in this category this year. Better luck next year.

Awesome Mystery & Thriller
This is one of two heavily over-represented categories in this year's Awesomes. 








Awesome Crime
Blood Work - Michael Connelly
13 Hours - Deon Meyer (technically I started it in 2011, but only finished it this year)










Awesome Fantasy
There were no nominees in this category this year. Better luck next year.

Awesome Paranormal Fantasy
There were no nominees in this category this year. Better luck next year.

Awesome Science Fiction
Peace Army - Steven L Hawk












Awesome Horror
Dead Man Series - Lee Goldberg, Will Rabkin, et al.


Awesome Romance
There were no nominees in this category this year. Better luck next year.

Awesome Humor
Right What You No - Tyson Adams' blog
I'm allowed to be self-congratulatory. Plus I didn't read any funny books this year.

Awesome Nonfiction
This is an oxymoron, so it is invalidated as a category. Having said that I did read several nonfiction books this year, mostly on climate change. I should make mention of On Writing by Steven King, which really had me agreeing with Steven's insights.

Awesome Graphic Novels & Comics
The Boys - Garth Ennis
This is the second over-represented category on my list. 










Awesome Indie











Awesome Poetry
Rime of the Ancient Mariner - Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home