This page has moved to a new address.

Book review: Sahara - Clive Cussler

Right What You No: Book review: Sahara - Clive Cussler

Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Book review: Sahara - Clive Cussler

SaharaSahara by Clive Cussler
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I'm not sure of what to think with this book. I've read a few Clive Cussler novels, most recently The Chase, but this was my first Dirk Pitt adventure. Before I go any further I should say I thoroughly enjoyed the book.

I had just finished The Chase when I was in a bookstore that was having a receivership sale. For e-book fans, a bookstore is a place where the good trees go to die. I was browsing the remaining stock and picked up Sahara, knowing I would enjoy it. Even the movie was able to rise above Matthew McConaughey's terrible acting - thanks in large part to Steve Zahn's terrific turn as Giordino.

Reasonably fast paced (remembering that the last few books I've read were by Matthew Reilly and Andy McDermott) and with a couple of plots, Sahara is an entertaining read. The doubts I have are two fold: pushing the envelope of human endurance and the generational gap. The first point is that Dirk and Al are dragged through hell and back, most of the time running on fumes. For anyone who has really pushed themselves you know how long it takes to recover from that sort of ordeal. The second point is that Cussler's take on the world is 'old school'. He has some quaint things to say about women, despite their strength and indomitable presence in the story. Oh, and I can't be an Aussie without mentioning the fact that no-one in Australia drinks Fosters beer. The only time I have seen it on sale is when I have been overseas.

Either way, Cussler's novels are always entertaining.

View all my reviews

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home