This page has moved to a new address.

Things to do on holidays

Right What You No: Things to do on holidays

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Things to do on holidays

As much as I like work, I really do like holidays. Finally I have time to do all the things I actually like doing rather than having a large chunk of my day taken up with, well, work. Now obviously if I am to get my first novel published before the end of this year, then I should take advantage of my break from a day job and churn out some writing.

So here's what I've actually been doing.

Getting up early.
I think that you shouldn't break your daily routine up too much, otherwise going back to work becomes too hard. As such I try to get up as early as possible, preferably before lunch time.

Reading.
Surprisingly I've had very little time for reading this holidays. It has been go, go, go the entire time. I think I may have only averaged 5-6 hours a day of reading. The list of things I have read this past week:
Hit List - Chris Ryan
The Dark Tower - Steven King
D.E.D. Dead - Geoff McGeachin
300 - Frank Miller
Graverobbers Wanted (No Experience Necessary) - Jeff Strand
Write the Fight Right - Alan Baxter

As always I don't comment on 1-2 star books because they are never finished. But curse them for wasting valuable reading time!!

Exercise.
I've always been active and love weightlifting. When I'm on holidays it is very important to keep up the exercise levels, lest I start to resemble a daytime talk show audience member. My exercise routine starts not long after waking. I stumble to our library and start with a good stretch out on our couch. I like to superset (a weightlifting term meaning back to back) the stretch with reading. This holidays I've been averaging 5-6 hours of this. At the end I'm suitably warmed up for some weightlifting, or a beer, depending on how I feel on the day (5 days of 7 the beer has won).

Sure could do with a beer right about now.
Woodworking.
Holidays are a great time to spend on hobbies. There is nothing quite like the sense of accomplishment from crafting something with your bare hands. There is also nothing quite like the sense of satisfaction from using really sharp tools to stab, slice and hack away at something........ Currently I'm making another bookshelf for our library, and have finished two clocks recently.
Jarrah clock. To say Jarrah is a hard wood is like saying steel is kinda hard.
Guitar.
If I have a second love it is guitar. Wait, sorry, my wife is first, so my writing is second, so guitar would be third. Honest mistake.

So, I have a number of toys that I enjoy to play with:
PRS Custom
7 string Flying V
Egnater Tweaker
Vox Night Train


Writing.
Now the juicy part: how much writing have I actually done? How much closer to finished is Overturned Stones? Well according to my Scrivener Windows Beta release, I have written nothing.

Yes I was scratching my head too. Seven days of writing usually results in an increased word count. Of course I'd forgotten to account for the Windows Affect. For those not familiar with the Windows Affect, basically when a new program is released in a format that is compatible with Windows OS, Windows will immediately stop being compatible and seek to destroy the new program. Usually this is achieved via updates that render the computer unusable.

I know, my own fault. I had Ubuntu installed and then some guy named Bill dropped around and reinstalled W7. I knew he was trouble when I saw that haircut.

Suffice to say I have decided to switch back to Open Office for now. The word count has caught back up and I hope to hit the halfway mark of Overturned Stones - 45,000 - next week. So far this holidays I have written 10,000 words, 7,000 of those have actually been saved when I pressed the save button.

Overturned Stones is a thriller based upon the idea that human trafficking and slavery can be solved via lead therapy. The central protagonist is very good at dispensing lead and avoiding anti-lead campaigners like police and mercenaries. But is he good enough to hide from the police and mercenaries when he saves a woman and child? He thinks so, but then again he's biased.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At May 3, 2011 at 2:54 PM , Blogger Rex Jameson said...

Came here for a sex reference. Leaving disappointed. What kind of holidays are you guys running over there, anyway?

Good luck with finishing Overturned Stones!

 
At May 4, 2011 at 11:10 AM , Blogger Tyson Adams said...

Thanks Rex.

And a gentleman doesn't need to brag about his sex life, even if he has to pay.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home